Memoir and Novel Incubators (ONE YEAR)
Our Memoir and Novel Incubators are yearlong programs to guide and support writers from their initial story ideas to the completion of their manuscripts. The Incubators are ideal for writers who have not been able to finish full-length projects on their own.
Our Incubators provide participants community and mentorship to help create a consistent writing practice and achieve goals. They are run by peer-artist leaders who fully participate in the process. The objective is a completed 50,000-word book by the end of the year.
Now accepting applications for the 2023 Memoir and Novel Incubators, which begin January 26, 2023.
Participants must be passionate, eager to learn, open to a collaborative experience, able to lend support and encouragement to peers, and committed to the long-term process of writing a book.
How Our Memoir and Novel Incubators Work
Throughout the year, we meet twice a month for two hours on Zoom every other Thursday (7 to 9 p.m.) for a total of 24 meetings. We also interact daily on Slack as we share our writing journey through the following phases:
- Conception (6 weeks) – We journal and draw on beats and other outlining techniques to build the foundation of our story, completing our outline and opening chapter.
- Drafting (18 weeks) – Based on our outlines, sketches, and first chapters, we write our first drafts, with the goal of generating 2,500 words a week for our 50,000-word manuscripts.
- First Reading Round & Revision (12 weeks) – We share our drafts with a first round of readers, building energy as we dig into our revisions with an eye toward completion.
- Second Reading Round & Revision (12 weeks) – We share our revisions with a second round of readers, strengthening our manuscripts with an eye toward publication.
Are You a Good Fit for Our Memoir or Novel Incubator?
To participate in either the Memoir or Novel Incubator you should:
- Have an initial story idea that you want to turn into a book! Having existing sketches and a few draft chapters are OK, but the purpose of the incubators is to start a project fresh. This is not the place to rewrite or revise an existing manuscript;
- Have experience in writing workshops at Project Write Now or elsewhere;
- Be open and interested in learning about the process of writing a book-length work and honing a consistent writing practice;
- Be eager and delighted to support your fellow writers to tackle a long-term book project through the exchange of encouragement and positive feedback;
- Be able to commit to 10 to 14 hours a week over the course of the year. (It will be like training for a marathon—you’ll need to talk to your family and friends to get their support!)
Our yearlong program costs $1,500. Tuition can be paid in full or in two or four increments according to our payment schedule. Your registration will not be considered complete until your payment, payment plan, or scholarship seat has been confirmed. To apply for a full or partial scholarship seat, please email email@example.com.
February 9, 23
March 9, March 23
May 11, 25
June 8, June 22
July 13, July 27
August 10, August 24
September 14, September 28
October 12, October 26
November 9, November 30
* Dates are subject to change.