Book Revision Lab (Six Months)
Our Book Revision Lab is a six-month program designed for writers ready to revise their memoir or novel manuscripts. With a focus on community, the Book Revision Lab provides feedback, support, and guidance so that writers can explore and realize the artistic and commercial potential of their book.
During the Book Revision Lab, writers learn a variety of revision techniques to improve their manuscript. Working together, writers exchange feedback on their book manuscripts, build revision plans based on the feedback, and execute their plans to complete a meaningful revision, with an eye toward publication.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2023 Book Revision Lab, which begins February 2, 2023. See Application Process below.
Participants must be committed to the long-term process of writing a book and be able to lend support and encouragement to peers. We are looking for passionate writers who are eager to learn and are open to a collaborative experience.
How It Works
Throughout the six months, we meet twice a month for two hours on Zoom every other Thursday (7 to 9 p.m.) for a total of 12 meetings. We also interact daily on Slack as we share our revision journey through the following phases:
- Reading Round & Revision Planning (12 weeks) – First, we learn the most effective ways to give and receive feedback, and then we break into groups of three to share our book manuscripts with a round of readers. Each participant provides feedback on two manuscripts and receives feedback from two readers. After receiving feedback, we organize the feedback into a revision plan.
- Revising Your Manuscript (12 weeks) – Over the next three months, we execute our revision plan, sharing our experience, challenges, and insights along the way. Our bi-monthly sessions include deep dives into both structural and sentence-level revision techniques, providing an array of tools to bring out the best in your manuscript.
Fee: $750 (payable in two installments).*
*Proceeds help support PWN’s community outreach programs. Partial and full scholarship seats are available. Email email@example.com for more information.
Are You a Good Fit?
To participate in the Book Revision Lab you should:
- Have a completed memoir or novel draft of 50,000 words or more that you feel comfortable handing off to fellow writers for supportive feedback;
- Have experience in writing workshops at Project Write Now, book inc, or elsewhere;
- Be open and interested in learning about the process of revising a book-length work along with boosting a consistent writing practice;
- Be eager and available to support your fellow writers to tackle a long-term book project through the exchange of encouragement and positive feedback;
- Be able and willing to read (2) manuscripts, each within a two week period. The maximum number of pages you will be required to read is 80,000 for each manuscript.
- Be able to commit 7-10 hours a week to the revision process over the course of the second half of the program.